How Does Apple Pay Work With Apple Watch?
In order to use Apple Pay, you must have a compatible device that is equipped with the requisite NFC radio antennae and the right iOS version. This limits you to an iPhone 6 and higher, the iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and the iPad mini 3 and 4, or the Apple Watch. But how does Apple Pay work with Apple Watch?
Price when reviewed: $399
How Does Apple Pay Work With Apple Watch
To make payments via Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- Go to the Apple Watch app for iPhone
- Select My Watch tab and scroll down to Wallet & Apple Pay
- Mirror alerts that come to your iPhone or choose Custom to determine what alerts can be transmitted to your watch
If your iPhone is already set up to use Apple Pay and paired to your smartwatch, you will still need to configure the Apple Watch, including adding your cards again. Adding cards to your watch is easy:
- Use the iPhone’s camera to take a photo of the front of the card and capture relevant info – cardholder’s name, account number, and expiration date
- You will be asked to verify that the information detected is accurate
- Add the three-digit code on the back of your card
After setting up, you can view your debit and credit cards in the Wallet app on the Apple Watch. Alternatively, you can double-press the button beneath the Digital Crown – pressing the button once gives you access to the Friends ring and Digital Touch feature, while pressing it twice reveals your default Apple Pay card.
Any other cards you have added are also available for changing if you don’t wish to make the payment using the default card.
Paying with the Apple Watch
When making a payment with your Apple Watch, simple double press the button beneath the Digital Crown to reveal your default card and any other cards you’ve added.
Select the card you want to use and hold the watch close to the payment terminal until you feel a vibration or hear a beep. It is best to turn the face of the watch toward the payment terminal.
Security concerns with Apple Pay on the Apple Watch
One of the biggest concerns for Apple Watch wearers when it comes to using Apple Pay on their smartwatch is how secure the payments will be, considering that the watch lacks the security of Touch ID that is characteristic of the iPhone 6.
So, here are some security measures offered by the Apple Watch:
- When you first put on your smartwatch, you will be prompted to input a PIN code to authorise Apple Pay
- Once the feature has been activated, the watch relies on constant skin contact to authorise a transaction – it can sense owing to the four sapphire-covered lenses on the back side of the wearable.
- Any time the watch is removed from your wrist, it locks itself, such that it cannot be used for payments. You will have to re-enter the Pin when you put it back on your wrist.
It is easy to make payments with the Apple Watch in a one-step process. However, some retailers may require you to provide a signature or enter your PIN to complete the transaction, depending on the value of your purchase or the type of card you’re using.
See recommended smartwatches on Amazon
Sony SmartWatch 3
Apple Watch Series 2