Best Video-Editing Apps 2017 – Adobe, ReVu and More
The World is addicted to videos. Whether we are watching them, making them or editing them – we simply cannot get enough! According to statistics, we watch approximately seven billion videos a day on Facebook, and another seven billion on YouTube. Could you imagine how many we watch on Vine, Instagram, Snapchat, or Periscope? But, it seems as though the basic cameras included on iPhones and Androids (which we are using to record them with) just don’t cut it these days. Don’t worry though because “there’s an app for that”… Video-editing apps for smartphones and tablets are in their prime, and here’s a list of apps that will help you cut out the boring bits, add some transitions and give your video the soundtrack it needs to transform into social-media gold.
Best Video-Editing Apps For Your Smartphone
1. Adobe Premiere Clip
Launched on Android just over a year after it was released on iOS, Adobe’s Premiere Clip is a free, easy-to-use but surprisingly capable video editor that enables you to create high quality videos in a fast and fun way. Premiere Clip, like its iOS counterpart, comes with a range of Premiere features including the ability to trim out parts, adjust lighting and add effects to videos. By effects we mean: the addition of smooth transitions, slow-motion effects and the choice to add background music.
What’s more, this application automatically creates videos from the media library stored on your smartphone – ready to be shared via Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. An additional feature allows you to further polish your videos on the desktop using Premiere Pro CC, a feature that you will need to subscribe to.
- Automatically produce shareable clips that are synced to the beat of your soundtrack
- Sync to Music allows you trim to the beat of your music like a pro
- Edit your videos using powerful editing tools
- Further polish your videos using Adobe Premiere Pro CC
2. GoPro app
The GoPro app allows you to control your camera remotely, enabling you to capture the shot and share it across your social-media platforms. You can easily adjust the camera settings from your phone without needing to consult your GoPro. Other features include the ability to frame your shot perfectly using live preview, and marking key moments as you record using the HiLight tag, which makes it easier to find later on. Finally, the GoPro app also lets you watch the best GoPro Channel videos OnDemand.
- Capture short video clips and share them on social-media platforms
- Gain full access of all camera functions remotely
- Control what your camera sees with live preview (for easy shot-framing)
- Mark key moments while you record footage with HiLight Tag
- View HiLight Tags in your GoPro Camera Roll (for easy playback of your video highlights)
- Copy or save photos/videos on your device
- Browse or delete files from your camera’s microSD card
- Watch the GoPro Channel and get your fix of the best GoPro videos from around the World
- View GoPro’s Photo of the Day
- Wirelessly update your camera software
3. ReVu Video for iOS
Software Optics has debuted a new video-editing app that works in conjunction with your iPhone, iPad and Go Pro. The app enables you to zoom and pan shots, as well as remove the curve and distortion that comes with using the fish eye lens on GoPros. Other features include cropping videos “on the fly”, trimming, recording, replaying and editing all interactions, while converting awkward vertical videos to landscape. If you’re using a GoPro, you can also import your video using iTunes file sharing. With a whole host of features that Apple does not offer for its smartphone and tablet cameras, ReVu is sure to help millions of people fix and improve their video footage.
Although ReVu is set to launch on Apple’s app store in March, you can beta-test it NOW by visiting their website or emailing Lisa[at]HaiMediaGroup[dot]com.
- Adjust the crop “on the fly” as the video plays, using pinch to zoom and motion/touch to pan
- Trim video, record, replay and edit all interactions
- Export zoom, pan and trim interactions to a new landscape 1080p HD video
- Import GoPro™ video with iTunes file sharing or the Camera Connection Kit to remove fisheye lens distortion
- Convert awkward vertical videos to landscape
Price: FREE to try during beta test
4. Magisto App
Magisto is a magical video editor that adds effects and beauty to any video or image. It has never been easier to create slideshows using Magisto. This app has inbuilt themes which makes easy to create a movie; simply add the video that you want to edit, select a beautiful theme to go along with it and your movie will ready to watch and share in a few minutes. Similarly to all the other apps in this list, Magisto also enables you to share your videos directly to social-media.
Overall, Magisto is an easy-to-use app that lets you take normal, every day videos and transform them into Hollywood worthy mini-blockbusters.
- Transforms your photos and videos into magical video stories.
- Enables you to import music from your device or Magisto’s music library to create amazing music videos.
- Share your videos on all social-media platforms including Facebook, Google+, YouTube, Twitter and WhatsApp.
- Customise your videos using the movie editor – apply automatic video stabilisation, video filters, video effects, and smooth transitions.
- Browse through Magisto’s channels and collections including: Sport video, foodie videos, wedding movies, baby movies, selfie video, Instagram video, you name it.
- Use the wide variety of editing styles to make amazing Graduation Videos, Sports videos, Selfie Videos, Instagram Videos, Slideshow Videos, Birthday Movies, Baby Movies and Wedding videos.
- Facial recognition detects the most important people in your photos and videos to create personalised movies you’ll love to share!
- Share a birthday video greeting card or recap your favourite birthday movie memories with many colourful birthday video editing styles.
VidTrim is a video editor and organiser for your Android smartphone or tablet. Its range of features includes trimming, merging, frame-grabbing, video effects, extract audio (convert your clips into MP3) and transcoding (compress and convert your videos into MP4). Like all other apps in this list, you can share your videos to social-media instantly.
- Video trimmer lets you to trim your video clips from your device.
- You can merge multiple video clips into one.
- Convert video files to MP3 audio files.
- Rotate videos.
- Frame grabber lets you create still-images from videos.
- Share video clips via e-mail, YouTube and more.
- Supports both ARM and x86 CPUs in one package.
- Contains optimisations for ARMv7 NEON when available.
Price: from FREE – £2.45
The Best Camera Phones
It’s all well and good when you’ve got the best video apps on your phone, but what if it’s your phone’s camera that is the problem? Well, we’ve got a run down of the best camera-phones that you should buy this Christmas, in time for the festive celebrations. ‘Tis the season to be jolly’ good at taking videos and selfies!
1. Apple iPhone 6+
The iPhone 6 Plus is said to be Apple’s best camera phone yet! Although there is still an eight-megapixel camera (as seen on iPhone 5S), there’s also optical image stabilisation – a first for an Apple smartphone. But, what is optical image stabilisation, we hear you ask? Well, optical image stabilisation lets you to capture an image with more light without images becoming blurred. Other new features include ‘Focus Pixels’ – increasing the speed of the autofocus and a host of other improvements that help create better images. What’s more, it even includes all the things that make Apple’s cameras so great, including a dual-LED True Tone flash and a simple, intuitive interface.
2. Google Nexus 5X
Google Nexus 5X features an eight megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.3 megapixels front-facing camera. It’s being described as the “best all-round camera that has ever been placed into a Nexus”. With its larger 1.55μm pixels, this camera-phone enables you to take shots with more light, even in the darkest of places, producing stunning details and sharp images. Like the iPhone 6, the 5X also features optical image stabilisation. Other features include face detection, digital zoom, a self-timer, back-illuminated sensor (BSI), autofocus, touch to focus, and geo tagging. Plus, a quicker and simpler Google Camera app means you won’t miss a moment, and with the smart Google Photos app, your memories have never been easier to relive, just one click away.
3. HTC One M9
The HTC One M9 offers stunning images from both the front and rear-facing cameras. Its high-resolution rear camera has the capacity to record videos in incredible 4K Ultra HD. Other camera features include an HTC UltraPixel™ front-facing camera that’s built to capturing maximum ambient light for dim selfies or group photos, revealing more smiles and detail. The built-in camera tools include the HTC Eye™ Experience – which syncs both cameras for unique effects.
With the HTC One M9, you can also
- create ‘split capture images’ from both cameras,
- add live make-up skin tone beautification prior to taking your selfies,
- customise photo-booth-like effects,
- capture selfies via voice command
- and much more.
In terms of additional Photo Editor camera tools, you can expect shape masking, photo masking, prismatic, double exposure and element effects – this transforms your images at the push of a button.
There you have it, whether you’re looking for an app to perfect your videos and photos or a camera-phone to capture them on, Appcessories has got you covered. It looks like 2017 is going to be the year of great selfies and the year that you become your very own accomplished photographer. With these apps and camera-phones, you’re sure to be the best photo and videographer in town!
See recommended smart home devices on Amazon
Nest Learning Thermostat
Philips Hue Starter Kit